Friday, March 9, 2012

Cloth Diapers can be fun!

I have had so many friends and family members ask me about our cloth diapering adventure so I thought I would do a little post on them!  If you are like me, then your first thoughts go straight to white cloths with safety pins.  Now these are still used by lots of cloth diapering moms out there and have actually evolved some with the use of " snappis" and cute diaper covers!  We decided however to use a more modern version and I have to say.... I LOVE them!  Take a look!



















Not so scary, huh?  These are Bum Genius diapers and we chose them based on recommendations of moms that used them from birth through potty training.  The diapers in the picture are All in One ( AOI) diapers for a newborn and we started with these because they fit Abigail's little booty a little better.  The rest of my diapers are pocket diapers with a removable insert that you can wash.  They also have snaps that adjust as your baby grows so once she fits into those, she can use them until she is potty trained.

There are so many different styles that I would definitely recommend trying out different kinds before you buy your whole stash.  Borrow them from a friend if you can and see how they fit your little one.  I have several cloth diapering mommy friends so it's been great to try out a few different styles.  If you are really lucky ( like me) they may even hand them down to you!!!  Take a look at these cute Rumparooz Lil Joey's that are made for newborns - borrowed from a sweet friend!
























The Lil Joey is great for a preemie or a small newborn and they will fit your baby from 6-12 pounds. They also have adjustable snaps on the front so they will grow with your baby.  I am borrowing several of these from a friend now that her daughter has outgrown them and transitioned into another size and I really like them! I would definitely recommend these!

You will also notice that I have them drying out on our deck.  This can save you money and the sun is a natural " bleacher".  Since the weather has been so nice, I have been air drying them but you can throw all of these in the dryer too.

The biggest question I seem to get is how to launder them and what about the POO!?!  There are several methods of laundering cloth diapers and there are still a few cloth diapering services out there.  You can actually leave your bag full of dirty cloth diapers on your porch and a service will pick them up, leave clean diapers, and wash your dirty ones for you.  There are also many different laundry detergents made for cloth diapers now and even recipes to make your own detergent if you like. This is what we use.










You can buy Tiny Bubbles through Amazon or at Costco and it can also be used for your baby clothes so you don't have to buy an extra detergent.  Loving it so far!  You want to stay away from " Free and Clear" detergents because these can actually leave a residue that over time may build up and decrease the absorption of your diapers.  It's also recommended that you " strip" your diapers from time to time to make sure you aren't getting a build up.  This just means that you run the diapers through multiple rinse cycles and occasionally add a little vinegar.

Now for the poo!  I am breast feeding so right now her dirty diapers aren't very smelly and there isn't much to her bowel movements, but I know the day is coming...  Most moms just empty the poop into the toilet and then toss the dirty diaper into their wet bag.  You can also use flushable biodegradable diaper liners like These.  You keep your soiled diapers in a wet beg that hangs in your room and when it's time for the wash, you just empty the bag into the washing machine and then toss the wet bag in with them.  The diaper champ ( not diaper genie) will allow you to use your wet bag instead of plastic bags so you can store them in that as well.  I am still reading up on this because of the potential build up of ammonia in a confined space.  Most people recommend a little airflow to your wet bag.

So there you go!  I'm not a hippie or a tree hugger but I am a fan of the cloth.  We didn't have the upfront cost because I got all my diapers at showers or handed down to me from friends, so it is definitely saving us a ton of money.  And as for the laundry, I am finding that with a newborn - it will never end anyway!!

Happy cloth diapering!





No comments:

Post a Comment