Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Journey

Many of you have asked me how it is going in our new church building and I have to tell you, I still can't believe I get to worship my God in that pretty place! We are five years old as a church and at every point along the journey, God has placed us exactly where we needed to be and He has provided more than we could ever ask.

When I packed up my things in 2007 and moved to Nashville, I had absolutely no idea what I was getting myself into!  I had just bought a house and I had an incredible job at one of the best Orthopaedic clinics in Tennessee.  I loved my church and my friends and I had settled myself into a pretty good life in Memphis.  If you asked me at that point, I probably would have told you I had no desire or intention to leave West Tennessee for anything!  And then I met a boy...

When I met Mike Harder, my world changed forever.  People will tell you that waiting is hard and it is.  I even read my husband's book, In Transit, before we ever went on our first date! I had been waiting on my husband for a really long time and at twenty seven years old, I had watched most of my friends get married and start having babies.  In the South, you can often feel that you missed the boat and I was frequently reminded of that as my sweet patients would ask me " Why aren't you married?  How old are you?"  But when Mike came into my life, I clearly felt the Lord leading me and things began to happen quickly.

I'm pretty sure my close friends and family thought I had lost my mind!  There was no sparkling ring on my finger, and yet I rented out my house, left my incredible job where I had made a name for myself, and moved to Nashville, Tennessee to help start a church.  I had never been a part of a church plant or stepped behind the curtain of ministry before.  I had no idea what marrying a Pastor would mean for me, but I could see God on the move and I wanted to be a part of it!


{My last night in Memphis.  Picture taken at Benihana's in East Memphis}






I am so thankful that I moved to Nashville when Green Hills Church was just a dream.  I am forever grateful that God led me here when He did so I could see all that He had planned.  I remember sitting around a conference table at the YMCA in Green Hills with twelve other people discussing vision and what it might look like to launch Green Hills Church.  So, as I stood in the back of the room for our first service in our new building, I just let the tears fly.  Of course, I can always blame it on being pregnant!  But honestly, I was overwhelmed with God's goodness and for the journey.

Our church has never been about a building and as thankful as I am for our new space, I know that it could be taken away tomorrow.  Of course, I can not express to you how excited I am to sit in a comfortable chair that doesn't hurt my back and leave my daughter in the nursery where there are doors and clean carpet!  But if you notice me crying in the back of the room, those tears are about the journey.  I am thinking back to the conference room at the YMCA, or the first time I watched God pack the walls of Cabana Restaurant with college students.  I am remembering all the places God has led us along the way and how He always whispered to my heart to trust Him.  I am thinking about how much my husband has grown as a leader and a teacher and how proud I am to be his wife.  This journey is hard at times, but it is so sweet and I am thankful for every step along the way!

{August 2012: Calvary Baptist Church hands us the keys to their building}




{Green Hills Church has a Home}

 {July 14th, 2013: Our first Sunday to worship in our new building}









No comments:

Post a Comment