Thursday, July 4, 2013

Newport Beach California { Acts29 Pastors' Retreat}

This was our first year to attend the Acts29 Pastors' Retreat and we had a fabulous time in Newport Beach, California!  I am so thankful for this global network of Pastors and their wives because having community with other ministry families is something Mike and I both desire.  We feel that we are called to be a part of a church that plants other churches and right now the Acts29 Network has over 450 churches on 6 different continents which fires me up!  If you want to learn more about the network, check out THIS website. 

Our week in California was filled with sweet worship, incredible speakers, and deeper community.  It was my first time to attend a church planting retreat and I was so thankful to be able to meet other families in a similar stage of life and ministry.  I was also grateful for a little time away with my sweetheart in beautiful Southern California!  This was the view from just outside our room. 

We were able to bring miss Abigail along for the trip because child care was provided during the sessions.  She is an adaptable little trooper and even though she was completely off her schedule, she was the best little baby and we were so glad to have her with us.  

Mike and I are explorers at heart, so each time we had the afternoon off, we were out the door and on an adventure!  Our first destination was the beautiful Laguna Beach area!  We packed Abigail up in our backpack carrier and set out to walk the coastline and soak in the California sunshine.  I totally understand why people move to California and stay.  It is absolutely beautiful and the weather is amazing!  Here's our sweet little hiker happy as can be!








Our last day of the retreat was pretty special for me.  Mike watched Abigail so I could attend the Pastors' Wives Session.  I met some amazing women and I truly feel that the Lord spoke to me through them and told me a few things I needed to hear.  

My role seems to be shifting more and more because I now juggle being a mom too.  Five years ago, I was able to help set up, tear down, train volunteers, attend both services, meet new people, and disciple girls in between services.  Now...I show up with Abigail hoping to be on time!  I'm lucky if I get to engage in conversation after the service because in the back of my mind, I'm already thinking about her nap and a diaper change.  I walk past volunteers that probably don't know my name because our church is growing and I haven't had a chance to meet them yet.  As Abigail's eyes get heavier, I try to slip back into the sanctuary to give my husband a kiss and tell him I'm proud of him before I leave.  Things look different now.  I also work part-time, so my availability to meet up with young girls or attend service projects is more limited now that I am in mommy land.  

And so, just as the guilt monster found his home in my head, the Lord allowed me to hear wisdom from women who have been in my shoes and knew what I needed to hear.  So if you are a pastor's wife or a new mom who serves in your church and you are struggling to balance your new role, let me share my epic wisdom!  Your first "role" is to be a daughter of Christ.  If He is the focus of your heart, you will be able to love your husband, children, and church well.  For me, my "ministry" is to my husband and our girls.  I needed to hear that.  I needed to hear that loving Mike well and encouraging him is my primary ministry.  Leading by example in how I serve my husband and our children is my ministry.       

I walked out of our session so encouraged and so inspired that I couldn't sit still!  So we set out for Balboa Island to celebrate feeling recharged with the infamous Balboa Bar! We found the first ice cream stand on the island and enjoyed our treat as we strolled the quaint streets of this little paradise. 




Balboa Island was a two mile walk from our hotel and Abigail fell asleep on the way there, so we took our time walking around and enjoyed being tourists for the afternoon.  Bless her heart, she was a trooper!  Mike is also a trooper because I know this little peanut got heavy after a while!  As for me, it's just another Tuesday when I get out of breath walking up a hill! This four mile excursion wore my little pregnant body out, but that ice cream bar was totally worth it ya'll!
It was the perfect end to a very refreshing week in Southern California.  Thank you Newport Beach for all the sweet memories!  I think it is safe to say that we will be back!  



No comments:

Post a Comment