Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Harder Family Vacation {Gulf Shores 2014}

Last week may have been my favorite week of all time.  Mike and I were blessed to travel before we had our girls and I remember thinking that vacations would look a little different once we had a family.  What I didn't understand, was how much joy and laughter would fill my week as I watched Abigail and Violet explore new things at the beach! 


We decided to leave around 3:00 in the morning which I have to tell you is the BEST plan ever with little travelers.  I told Abigail that I was going to come get her in the middle of the night and put her in the car so we could go to the beach.  That morning, I slipped in her room and quietly woke her up. I whispered that we were going to the beach and just like her mommy, she whipped those covers off and got a huge smile on her face!  

The beach is my happy place and watching Abigail's face light up as she explored the ocean and the sand was priceless for me.  Each morning, we started the day down by the ocean finding shells and chasing after the seagulls. She was not afraid of the sand at all this year, but the waves breaking definitely rattled her.  This picture is my favorite and I will always remember her little arms reaching up at me saying "Hold you Mommy, hold you."  I will always hold you sweet girl. 
Violet also enjoyed her time down by the ocean.  We tried to get down to the beach before her morning nap.  While Abigail danced around in the sand and made castles with her daddy, Violet rocked away to the sound of the ocean waves. Praise the good Lord for the beach swing!
So many sights and sounds were new for Violet and watching Abigail learn about stingrays, crabs, jumping fish, dolphins, and sea shells was a joy to watch.  
Mike and I were also super lucky to have his parents join us at the beach! I love that they were able to enjoy the girls and it was a wonderful treat to have time in the mornings to run and a little alone time each day to sit under our umbrellas and stare at the ocean! Thank you Dan and Alice! We love you!
Not only did they spoil Mike and I with date nights and morning runs, but they also hopped around and sang little tunes so that Abigail and Violet would look up for pictures.  That's a job y'all!

I'm pretty sure Abigail had the best week ever.  Every morning we took her down to the beach to play and each afternoon after her nap, we headed down to the pool for what I like to call "jumping hour".  She is getting brave and my sweet husband tossed her around and caught her as she jumped in the water until I think he needed a nap!  Violet loved the kiddie pool.  We had a little ring float that supported her enough that she could walk across the shallow pool and splash the water as she went!  This was epic fun for a nine month old!



We enjoyed a few nights searching for beach treasure in the sand and filling Abigail's bucket with beautiful shells.  I was also surprised at how brave she was with her little flash light looking for sand crabs.  She even tried to help pick a few up which is more than her mommy will do.  I will hold the flashlight...that is all. 

Violet just smiled and tried to follow Abigail on every adventure.  She is trying so hard to pull up and walk and I can see in her sweet face that she just wants to take off and follow her big sister.  Slow down sweet girl!
























I think this probably makes twenty plus years of memories in Gulf Shores and this week goes down as my favorite.  Of course I have wonderful memories of my family vacations, girl trips to the beach and my pre-kid years with my sweetheart on this sand, but watching my babies see and do things for the first time is a joy that has been beautiful and unexpected!  See you next year Gulf Shores!



No comments:

Post a Comment