Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Baby giggles, sunshine, and worship

Last week, Mike and I attended the Acts29 Pastor's Retreat in Miami, Florida.  I am so thankful for the relationships I have been able to make with other pastors wives and I feel that time away with my honey to recharge and be encouraged is vital to lifelong ministry.  This is the book from my welcome packet this year and I'm pretty sure someone has been following me around, because it is absolutely perfect for me in this stage of life! I love the author and her book Glimpses of Grace, Treasuring the Gospel in Your Home really ministered to my heart so I am eager to see what God will teach me through this book!

I also had the joy of hearing Jani Ortlund teach one morning.  Her message was about the desert and how each of us at some point in our Christian lives, will enter a desert season.  She spoke about how God meets us there and sometimes, it is only in the desert that he can draw us closer and shower us with grace.  It is often where he grows our character the most and definitely where he reveals his heart and provision for our lives.  It was such a blessing to me and as I took notes that morning one line stood out to me the most.  

"The desert is the only way out of your Egypt".

I am so thankful that when I am weary and discouraged, my God is there.  He has a plan that I can't always see and when my flesh doubts his goodness and my heart leads me to anxiety, I can be reminded that he is for me.  It is in the desert that he scorches the idols that pull my heart away and shows me that really he is ALL I have.  Grace is beautiful.

The retreat also offered childcare for children under one year old, which means little Violet made the trip too! She was such a good baby and an easy traveler. Where better to celebrate your eight month birthday than in South Beach, right? 

This sweet girl is my little adventure baby.  Here is what she is doing at eight months old. 

* crawling EVERYWHERE and getting faster
* loves to splash and play in the water
* giggles and tries to follow Abigail through the house 
* laughs when you tickle her or kiss her belly 
* trying to stand up in her crib 
* started taking her bath with Abigail at night.  This is probably the highlight of my nights.  Two sweet giggling babies playing and laughing in the tub is precious!

After two refreshing days of worship and teaching, Mike and I got a car and made our way down to Key Largo.  We stopped at a quiet little beach and let our water baby splash around.  Baby giggles and sunshine are just good for my soul, y'all! 


Of course, I married a Colombian so after a quick dip in the ocean, we were off to find a spot to watch the World Cup.  We ended up in Isla Morada at a somewhat hidden treasure known at Morada Bay.  Fabulous. We watched the World Cup with a few locals at a quiet beachside bar.  The food and views were fabulous.  We will definitely be back!



I think we are both feeling rested and excited to see what God will do through us and our church this year.  Sometimes all you need is a break from your daily grind so that you can be still with God and let him love on you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment